Thursday, 29 March 2007

rivet attempt


I bought a book by Joanna Gollberg that focuses on cold connection.
My goal last weekend was to create a riveted piece. I got side tracked and started making a couple of punches out of steel nails which I got on special from the hardware store.

I made a texture punch. Which lead me to texturing a small piece of silver to death. (annealed three times with hammering in between) Came out great. So I cut off the edges. I then added it to some copper and more silver finally using 2 copper wire rivets. I drew the wire down to just the right size (because I can) and the wire rivets worked perfectly.

My pendant needed a little something. So I soldered a copper bezel to my silver texture.

This is a riveting project so I needed 2 tube rivets to suspend my pendant from.
Tube rivets - what was I thinking? I am going to need a lot of practice at these things.
My first 2 attempts were a huge failure both split - why didn't I practice this first? Ok maybe I can drill these things out and try again.
Try again with a new piece of tube (sterling silver tube bead from local bead shop)
With my first attempt I heated the bead until it looked like it fused closed. This time I solder it properly. and try again. The first one split at the back. - Now I read my book. Perhaps I am hitting a little hard or fast. The next one works but the hole in the middle is a little oval in shape.?
No problem I even the shape out with one of the attachments for my drill. WooHoo works great.

Lttle green stone (was going to be carnelian but I opted for colour instead)

Sand Sand Sand

LOS - need to show off that texture.
Steel wool.
I was going to (might still) Weave/knit a chain for this pendant But I made this chain previously
and it seems to go quite well with the Pendant
So I make a few largish Jumprings with 1mm wire and attach it to my Pendant.

I try not to copy but this pendant looks so familiar that I am almost embarrased to post a pic incase my subconcious has recreated someone elses work of art. Here it is anyway.

No comments: